Residuals in MCMC

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
MCBLACKWELL

Residuals in MCMC

Post by MCBLACKWELL »

I'm a little confused by two lines in the Rank2.txt sample macro included with MLWin and discussed at p56 of the MCMC manual. I wondered if someone could explain the rationale, please?

The macro is to be ran after a monitoring chain of length 5001 (p52). The two lines say:

note stack 2.5% pts to c368
pick 251 c303-c367 c368

As the chain has been sorted this picks the 251st smallest value in the chain. However, as I see it, this picks the 5% quantile (250/5,000=0.05) rather than the 2.5% one as the note suggests. Accordingly, with a similar line for the upper quantile it delimits the 90 percent central confidence interval?

Should it say "pick 126", or am I making some error in my though process above?

Many thanks indeed for your help!

Michael
billb

Re: Residuals in MCMC

Post by billb »

Hi Michael,
Rather impressively you are the first person to spot this mistake - yes the elements given give 90% not 95% confidence intervals. If/When I get around to updating the manual next I'll try and amend this.
Thanks,
Bill.