repeated time-series

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
camilabvic

repeated time-series

Post by camilabvic »

Hi all,

I am not familiar at all yet with "runmlwin" that got published in the Journal of Statistical Software, and because of that I do not know if "runmlnin" works when having repeated time values within units.

I tried to use the Stata command xtreg or any of the other -xt- models that are available in Stata since I thought the data I have is panel data. However, when using "xtset" (a first needed Stata command before using "xtreg" or any of the other -xt- models) Stata indicates that repeated time values are not allowed, a feature of my data. Panel data are defined by an identifier variable and a time variable and each combination of identifier and time should occur, at most, once. Therefore, "xtset" cannot be used if we have repeated time-series since it does not allow for them.

So, since "runmlwin" is designed for multilevel (hierarchical or cluster) data structures and not panel data structures (please correct me if I am wrong on this), does "runmlwin" allows for repeated time values within each unit (for example, countries)?

Thanks!