IGLS for cross classified model

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
shakespeare

IGLS for cross classified model

Post by shakespeare »

I'm running Mlwin 2.35 under Win Server 2012 (64 bit) with 12 GB memory. I have a dataset that is about 150k individuals. I want to build a cross classified multilevel logistic model (all covariates at level 1) with random intercepts only for now. The documentation suggests MCMC as the method of choice for estimation, but I prefer ML since I have some missing data on my DV and IVs. My understanding is that IGLS constitutes an ML approach.

1) Am I correct?
2) Can I do this in Mlwin on a cross classified model?
ChrisCharlton

Re: IGLS for cross classified model

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Yes, IGLS is equivalent to maximum-likelihood estimation. When fitting models using (R)IGLS in MLwiN any rows of data containing missing values are ignored. For information on fitting cross-classified models using (R)IGLS see chapter 18 of the user guide (available at http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/m ... nuals.html). Note however that this is fitted using constraints (as described in the chapter) so you may find that the estimation becomes difficult with larger amounts of data.
shakespeare

Post by shakespeare »

Yes, I understand the potential estimation problem. However, this sounds more like listwise deletion rather than true FIML, correct?
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Yes, this is listwise deletion.