Multi State Model in MLWin

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
napoleon

Multi State Model in MLWin

Post by napoleon »

Dear List,

I have data relating to the transplantation of organs in human patients. There are two separate but correlated outcomes : organ failure and death. A multi-state model appears to be one way of modelling the data.

Everyone starts off in the same state, namely 'having been transplanted'.

STATE 1: Patients in the first group stay in this state until the end of the study, alive and with a functioning organ (transplanted, transplant succeeds, alive).

STATE 2: Patients in a second group lose their organ, but stay alive (transplanted, transplant fails, alive).

STATE 3: Patients in a third group die with a functioning organ (transplanted, transplant succeeds, dead).

STATE 4: Patients in a fourth group suffer organ failure and then die (transplanted, transplant fails, dead).

Clearly STATES 3 and 4 are absorbing (you cannot leave these states having entered them).

I wish to model the transitions between these states, using a selected group of predictors which have previously been found to be associated with patient and / or organ death. The outcome is time to the event (so survival analysis is the method).

I have been told that it may be possible to model these data using a multi-state model using the package MLWin, but am not certain how to enter the data.

Does anyone have any ideas ?