Error message: run time error '5'

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
Francisca

Error message: run time error '5'

Post by Francisca »

Sorry if this question has been raised before. I have searched for something similar on these forums.
I'm trying to run multilevel ordered logistic regression using MLwiN.

The outcome has five categories, indicating the frequency of binge drinking.
The two-level model (pupils nested within classes) converges using 2nd order PQL as a method of estimation. But when I have tried to add a third level (schools), the program does not give the option of selecting the variable containing the school id and the following error message appears (run-time error '5' invalid procedure or argument) .

What does this error message mean? How can I solve this problem? Is it possible to run a three-level models for ordinal responses in MLwiN?

I would appreciate your help,

with many thanks,
Francisca
ChrisCharlton

Re: Error message: run time error '5'

Post by ChrisCharlton »

It should be possible to run this sort of model in MLwiN. Could you let me know which version of the software you are using? It would also be useful if you can provide an example that I can use to replicate what you are seeing, preferably using one of the sample worksheets provided with MLwiN.
olavvelthuis

Post by olavvelthuis »

I get exactly the same error message when I try to run a four-level model (right at the beginning, when I start specifying the Y variable, before estimating it). It also happens when I select a different dependent variable. I have no problems specifying and running three-level models. My version of MLwiN is 2.36
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

There is currently a bug if you request one fewer level than the maximum currently defined, which might be related to this. If this is the case then you can work around it be changing the maximum number of levels via Options->Worksheet. If this doesn't fix then if you can replicate the error with a freely available dataset (such as the included sample data) then I can look into it further.
olavvelthuis

Post by olavvelthuis »

Thanks, changing the max number of levels fixed the problem...