Wrong data import

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
ehsanfar

Wrong data import

Post by ehsanfar »

Hi!

I am using MlWiN to run a multiple membership analysis on a data that has US census tract number. After importing the data from a stata file, I noted that the tract numbers and adjacent tracts are not imported correctly and had wrong values and original tract numbers are repeated for some of the adjacent tracts. I kept variables as double but changed variables' format to %11.0f to keep the numbers when opening it in MlWiN. I appreciate any recommendations on how to get this fixed. my dataset has 810K observations with around 40 columns.

Thanks!

Ehsan
ChrisCharlton

Re: Wrong data import

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Unfortunately MLwiN can currently only hold data in single-precision and will truncate and data defined as double when it is imported. The format specification defined in the Stata file is ignored when importing data.

You would therefore need to recode the variables in question prior to importing them into MLwiN to ensure that they can be stored in a float variable.