2nd order PQL - no convergence

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
KatrijnDelar

2nd order PQL - no convergence

Post by KatrijnDelar »

Dear all,

I want to conduct a two-level nested model using longitudinal data (level1 = observation, level2=ID).
My dependent variable is a binary outcome.

When I try to fit my nullmodel using 2nd order PQL (based on the starting values of 1st order MQL), my model does not converge.
I am not sure why...

Any help with this would be much appreciated!

Katrijn
ChrisCharlton

Re: 2nd order PQL - no convergence

Post by ChrisCharlton »

2nd Order PQL will use the higher-level residuals when fitting the model, so it's probably worth taking a look at them to see if anything looks odd. It would also be worth fitting the model with MCMC to see whether this has any problems.
yongjookim78

Re: 2nd order PQL - no convergence

Post by yongjookim78 »

Agreed with ChrisCharlton's suggestion of running MCMC. I also encountered similar issue for a four-level random intercept model with binary outcome. MCMC worked well while the 2nd order PQL had an issue of convergence.
Thanks,
YongJoo