run-time error 9 when trying lattice plots

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
quecher

run-time error 9 when trying lattice plots

Post by quecher »

I am new to MLwiN and would like to use it for longitudinal data, especially for its graphics capabilities. I'm having trouble generating lattice plots without it crashing, though. I have tried it on two datasets, having 21 or 74 level-2 groups (individuals) and about 334 or 493 level-1 datapoints, respectively. In both data sets, when I specify a plot with the y and x variable, plus a group ID variable in the 'row codes' box of the "plot what?" tab of the Customised Graph window, a lattice plot of 5x5 results, but this error message displays:

Run-time error ‘9’:
Subscript out of range

And when I click OK the program exits. There is no way to copy the plots before the program crashes. Putting the group ID variable in the "Group" box instead works fine, but I'd like to be able to disentangle the groups in the spaghetti plot.

Am I doing something wrong in specifying the lattice plot? I was getting this problem in version 2.10 and am still having the same issue in version 2.23.

Also, even when the number of groups is fewer than 25, empty plots without data or labels are generated in the last row. Could this be related? Thanks for any help.

-Jen
ChrisCharlton

Re: run-time error 9 when trying lattice plots

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Thank you for reporting this bug, it will be fixed in the next released version of MLwiN. In the mean time I think the only workaround would be to manually generate row and column codes (with a maximum of five unique values in each) where each combination corresponds with one of your current codes and then use those instead.