MLwiN download not working

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
MLwiN-User

MLwiN download not working

Post by MLwiN-User »

My MLwiN download does not work
CMM
Site Admin

Re: MLwiN download not working

Post by CMM »

A common problem, here are the main reasons for a download or an upgrade not to work:
* You need to already own any previous version of MLwiN before you can upgrade to the latest version.
* Check you have administrative rights on your PC, the program will not install unless you have administrative rights.
* You must also have version 2.02 or 2.10 or later installed, but note it will not work from any 2.10 Beta version.
* MLwiN 2.1 is only tested on the following operating systems: Windows XP, Windows XP Professional and Windows Vista. If you have an earlier operating system, you can get a pre-XP installer which you can download.
* Please note you can download the teaching version for free if you only need the program for the learning materials, but all the above installation guide points still need to be followed.
angelinasimon

Post by angelinasimon »

Thanks for giving us the installation step. I will take in to account all the points you mentioned. I really appreciate your knowledge.
hermanader

Post by hermanader »

I upgraded Vista to Windows 7. But I do not get MLwiN running, although it worked smoothly under Windows Vista.
Has anybody any tips/help?
Herman Adèr
CMM wrote:A common problem, here are the main reasons for a download or an upgrade not to work:
* You need to already own any previous version of MLwiN before you can upgrade to the latest version.
* Check you have administrative rights on your PC, the program will not install unless you have administrative rights.
* You must also have version 2.02 or 2.10 or later installed, but note it will not work from any 2.10 Beta version.
* MLwiN 2.1 is only tested on the following operating systems: Windows XP, Windows XP Professional and Windows Vista. If you have an earlier operating system, you can get a pre-XP installer which you can download.
* Please note you can download the teaching version for free if you only need the program for the learning materials, but all the above installation guide points still need to be followed.
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Could you please provide some addition information, for example:

Did you install MLwiN before or after upgrading to Windows 7? If before then does uninstalling and reinstalling MLwiN work any better?

Did you install MLwiN with administrative privileges?

Could you give some information about what happens when you attempt to run it, for example does it crash or give an error message?