Question about ICC

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
Sherry08

Question about ICC

Post by Sherry08 »

Hi there, I have built a three-level linear model, with Body Mass Index as the dependent variable. In my three-level model, state is at the third level, geographical areas are in the second level and individuals form the lowest level. My ICC for the second-level is high, about 0.96
Is it common to have such high ICC for second level? Please help.
GeorgeLeckie
Site Admin

Re: Question about ICC

Post by GeorgeLeckie »

Dear Sherry08,

If you have found a neighbouhood level ICC of 0.96 for BMI, then I suggest something has gone wrong in your calculation. I would expect something more like 0.05! The ICC is the correlation between two randomly selected individuals' BMI from the same neighbourhood and so we would never expect this to be high.

Best wishes

George