Using MLwiN 3.01 on Mac OS X

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
jonnycurrie

Using MLwiN 3.01 on Mac OS X

Post by jonnycurrie »

I have installed both the MLwiN 3.01 academic version and the 2.36 trial version on my Mac using the Wine software package as recommended by the MLwiN site.

When I attempted to run the full 3.01 version I received an error saying "err:process:start_process L"C:\\windows\\mlwin.exe" doesn't have an entry point, it cannot be executed"

However the software works perfectly fine when I use the trial version.

I would for obvious reasons like to use the full version but cannot seem to find any way of doing so and may be resigned to buying a product key/license, though I wonder if that would lead me to the same problem if I eventually update/reinstall newer versions.

Does anybody have any experience to advise on the above?

Many thanks
ChrisCharlton

Re: Using MLwiN 3.01 on Mac OS X

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of MLwiN 3.01? 64-bit support in Wine for MacOS X is fairly new and last time I tested this it did not support the 64-bit version of MLwiN. If this is what you were trying I would suggest that you request the 32-bit version from https://www.cmm.bris.ac.uk/clients/softwaredownload/ and see if you have more luck. The old 2.36 version was only available in 32-bit, so this may be why you did not encounter this problem with the trial.
jonnycurrie

Re: Using MLwiN 3.01 on Mac OS X

Post by jonnycurrie »

Thank you Chris, that's fixed the problem perfectly. Very grateful.