Zero-inflated negative binomial models?

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
adeldaoud

Zero-inflated negative binomial models?

Post by adeldaoud »

Hello,

Can Mlwin fit zero-inflated negative binomial models? I know that we can fit Poisson and negative binomial models.

thanks in advance
Adel
ChrisCharlton

Re: Zero-inflated negative binomial models?

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Unfortunately MLwiN cannot fit these models. Professor Kelvyn Jones suggests however that you may wish to read the article at https://statisticalhorizons.com/zero-inflated-models as it may be that you may not need to use a zero inflated model.
adeldaoud

Post by adeldaoud »

Thanks for the link, Chris. Interesting article. As the article states, we have theoretical reasons to test the statistical efficiency of a multilevel zero-inflated negative binomial model and a regular multilevel negative binomial model. I assume you or Kelvyn are not aware of any (R) package that can estimate these types of multilevel models?

By the way, does the online learning facility (LEMMA) has teaching material on negative binomial models? I cannot locate it. (Interested specifically in the R2mlwin learning experience of negative binomial models, but general learning material is fine too )

Thanks in advance
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

I am not familiar with any R packages that handle these models.

There are currently no LEMMA modules that cover these model types, however Kelvyn is in the process of writing a module on count data which should fill this gap.
adeldaoud

Post by adeldaoud »

Ok, thanks, Chris.

Looking forward to reading Kelvyn's module.
yongjookim78

Post by yongjookim78 »

This looks very helpful and thanks for the useful discussion everyone!