Labelling residual plots

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
IB123456

Labelling residual plots

Post by IB123456 »

Hello,

I was wondering whether anyone would be able to help me please. I'm hoping to include a graph of my residuals in a report however, would ideally like each residual point to be labelled by the country it identifies and cannot work out how to do this.

Would anyone be able to advise me?
Many thanks,
ChrisCharlton

Re: Labelling residual plots

Post by ChrisCharlton »

To do this you will first need a column in your data containing the country labels that is the same length as your residual columns. One way to do this is to use the TAKE command or the Data Manipulation->Unreplicate(take) menu. You need to specify your country column as the input column as well as the column defining the block, and then specify an empty column for the output. Once you have created the column you need to attach the original labels, which you can do via the copy/paste buttons in the categories section of the names window.

To use this column in your graph you need to open the customised graphs window after creating your residual plot, and then change group under plot what? to the newly created column. To attach the labels you need to tick group code in the other tab. Finally, you may want each country to be plotted with a different colour or symbol, in which case you can choose rotate in the appropriate drop-down in the plot style tab.
IB123456

Re: Labelling residual plots

Post by IB123456 »

Thank you very much for your help.