Bizarre error message

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
NtD71

Bizarre error message

Post by NtD71 »

Hi there,
Whilst trying to run a model with 5 ordinal responses against "cons" (first step in model building) I get this strange error message:

Error while obeying batch file C:\program files \ MLwin 2.14\multicat\pre at line number 12:
name c1178 ‘P’ c1179 ‘- P’
Duplicate column name.

The thing is, there are no data in c 1178 or c1179. I have cleared, deleted and renamed both aforementioned columns, and I have even reimported the data a few times into MLWin (just to mention a few attempted home-grown solutions) but to no avail....

Can anyone out there let me know what to do to fix this?
Regards
Nick
NtD71

Re: Bizarre error message

Post by NtD71 »

To all who read this post
The issue has now been resolved: recreated the entire dataset in SPSS and re-imported, now not a problem, though took a couple of weeks of extra work!
NtD71
billb

Re: Bizarre error message

Post by billb »

Hi NtD71,
I suspect what happened is you had a column called 'P' in the data you imported and the macros for multinomial models
name certain columns with single letter names including 'P'. Thus when the macro tries to name something as 'P' MLwiN complains that 'P' already exists.
The only solution is not to have a column called 'P' in your data