level 1 variance

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
med151991

level 1 variance

Post by med151991 »

Hello,

I am running a three level repeated measures model with a binary outcome (level 1 occasion, level 2 people, level 3 area). In my model, I am unable to check the level one (occasion) box when I add the cons as it does not appear, only the fixed parameter, level 2 and level 3 boxes appear, and just wondered how I can get this box up or if I am doing something wrong?

Many thanks,

Megan
billb

Re: level 1 variance

Post by billb »

Hi Megan,
As you are fitting a binary outcome the model is a Binomial model and so is there no level 1 variance i.e. for the binomial distribution the variance is a function of the mean so therefore the box disappears. Hope this makes sense.
Bill.