Higher level predictors: are they worth it?

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
MossyMcCollie

Higher level predictors: are they worth it?

Post by MossyMcCollie »

I am running a 2-level model with several hundred thousand level-1 units but only about 70 level-2 units. I have already identified a set of level-1 predictors for inclusion, and am considering which, if any, predictors to add in at level-2.

I can identify about 9 individual L-2 predictors whose individual inclusion results in a significant reduction in LRS, compared with the LRS of a model with my L-1 predictors only. But I'm hesitant to include these L-2 predictors, and I don't really know why: I think I might be overfitting my model, if I consider just the number of potential L-2 variables and units. My intuition is that variables fitted to just 70 points should not be allowed to influence a model to the same extent that a L-1 variable fitted to 500,000 units does, but I'm prepared for this intuition to be completely wrong.

Although the delta-LRS stats for each of the L-2 variables (comparing a model with L-1 variables only versus a model with the L-1 set plus a single L-2 var) indicate significance, they are of the order of, say 4 or 5; whereas the delta-LRS stats for most L-1 vars are several thousand. Again, I'm not sure whether this is a reflection of the relative merit of the L-1 and L-2 variables or not.

Any insights gratefully received.
Thanks
John
billb

Re: Higher level predictors: are they worth it?

Post by billb »

Dear John,
I would say that it would be important to include the level 2 predictors. In some respect you are largely doing the multilevel modelling to control for variation in the response variable that can be explained by clustering into groups. Of course putting level 2 predictors into the model can explain why there is this variation and may even remove the need for the multilevel modelling i.e. one could generate a dataset where the only clustering was due to a level 2 predictor variable and so in adding this variable to the model you might be able to collapse from a 2 level model to a 1 level model.
Hope that helps,
Bill.
MossyMcCollie

Re: Higher level predictors: are they worth it?

Post by MossyMcCollie »

Thanks Bill - I did not think of the implications of using Level 2 predictors to potentially reduce the number of model levels.