Support with MLM power calculation

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
lauriej23

Support with MLM power calculation

Post by lauriej23 »

Dear all,

Apologies if this isn't appropriate to post on here!

I'm looking to get some support with carrying out an MLM power calculation for my doctoral thesis (I am a Trainee Clinical Psychologist working in the NHS clinically and completing my thesis doctorate). Both my supervisor and I are very new to MLM and we're struggling to get to grips with how to actually do it (we've tried Optimal Design and PINT but are failing!) - we need to carry out a power analysis in order to argue that our data is sufficient to answer our research question. We'd be really grateful for support/consultancy on this and can provide funds/authorship.

For my, thesis I am planning to use MLM on secondary data from the US to see whether therapist fidelity to Motivational Interviewing (which is measured by a % score, but could be dichotomised) is related to changes in an outcome variable (which is continuous). We're planning to use MLM because the observations are nested within individuals (i.e. 2 levels).

I'd be so grateful if anyone is able to provide consultancy to get in touch.

Thanks so much in advance,
Laurie