Adding and specifying terms

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
SabineKatzdobler

Adding and specifying terms

Post by SabineKatzdobler »

Good day,

apologies for asking again and again. MLwiN is full of challenges, but so far I have been very happy and grateful regarding the solutions of the support team. Generally, my goal involves testing a multilevel ordered logistic regression analysis including a within-between random effects specification (level 1: response indicator; level 2: occasion; level 3: individual). At the moment, I have two related issues regarding adding terms in MLwiN via the "Specify Term" window:
  • When I try to add a term as "separate coefficent" one-by-one after the constant-variable, I noticed in the majority of my trials that MLwiN does either not react at all nor does converge finally. As a consequence, I add the relevant variable as "common coefficient". This, however, does not allow to test the proportional-odds assumption in the same way as the example in Module 9 p. 10, 11 suggests. Thus, I have the impression that I am forced to include several variables (haben vorher in stata die PPO-assumption nicht erfüllt) only as common coefficients. Is my situation problematic?
  • Specifically, I have difficulty adding the "within-term" (deviation from the individual group mean). I had to include them as common coefficients (see first question). Finally, the model resulted in coefficients of 0 for every within-variable. This is a strange result and I did not expect that. What have I done wrong? How can I add the within variables properly?
Remark ref. within-variable - Example:
  • Individuals´ Age: 50 / 54 / 59 ;
  • Age av: (50+54+59) divided by 3 time points > 54,333 ;
  • Age dev. (within): -4.333 (50 - 54,3339 / -0,333 (54 - 54,333) / 4,667 (59 - 54,333)
Kind regards,

Sabine
ChrisCharlton

Re: Adding and specifying terms

Post by ChrisCharlton »

If you were able to send an example worksheet demonstrating the problem and/or screenshots of the model to myself and Bill (seehttps://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/team/ for contact details) we should be able to check whether there are any obvious problems with the model/data.