Issue: 1 out of 508 in use (lev 2 var) - LEMMA Mod 5

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
szhou2715

Issue: 1 out of 508 in use (lev 2 var) - LEMMA Mod 5

Post by szhou2715 »

Hello all,
Apologies if this is a simple issue. I am doing the LEMMA course on multilevel using MLwiN, and in Module 5 the very first practical is to estimate a null model with Level-2 schoolid. See attachment ("screenshot.jpg"). My MLwiN only shows using 1 out of 508 schoolid cases, and only 1 out of 33988 caseid cases. The actual equations screen should show 33988 of 33988, and 508 of 508 in use. What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (61.43 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
ChrisCharlton

Re: Issue: 1 out of 508 in use (lev 2 var) - LEMMA Mod 5

Post by ChrisCharlton »

This sometimes happens when general notation is turned off and the cons variable, used to represent the intercept is added to the model before any other variables. As it doesn't yet know the length of the data being used in the model this is instead created with a length 1 and will subsequently result in only the first row of data being modelled. To fix this you can either recreate cons with the correct length via Data Manipulation>Generate Vector or set the response in the equation before turning off general notation.

This is unfortunately a bug in the software, which I will investigate fixing in later releases of the software.