Random coefficient for an interaction term

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
ewancarr

Random coefficient for an interaction term

Post by ewancarr »

Hello,

I'm trying to fit a two-level normal response model. I include an interaction term between
two level-1 variables ('year' and 'x'). I want to test whether the association between the
interaction term and the outcome, y, is consistent across my level-2 units — i.e. whether
the model is improved by including a random coefficient for the interaction term. However,
I'm stuck on a few points:
  • Should I also include random coefficients for the main effects involved in the interaction?
    I.e. for the interaction between year and x, I could include random coefficients for year, x and year*x.
  • How should I test the significance of the level-2 variation? (i.e. should I test the variance of
    the interaction only, or the variance of all main effects and the interaction, or the variances and
    covariances of all of the above?
  • How should I plot the random coefficients?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Ewan
--