MCMC Error in CAR modelling

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
Karen

MCMC Error in CAR modelling

Post by Karen »

Hi MLwiN forum users,

I am hoping that someone may be able to help me. I have been using MLwiN for the last couple of years to fit multi-level models. I am now interested in fitting spatial models.

I have been following the guidance on Chapter 16 of the MCMC estimation in MLwiN manual and managed to fit a spatial multiple membership model. However, I am keen to see if a CAR model is more appropriate for my problem but when I try to fit this model I get the error message:

MCMC Error 0243: The ith neighbouring unit for area j is not a known area(MCMC)

where i and j are not always the same when I try and fit the model. However, i is commonly 1. I have checked area j and neighbour i to see if this error makes sense and the neighbour ID appears appropriate, as does the area number. I tried looking for error 0243 using search engines but couldn't find anything referring to this. Has anyone come across this error? Am I just doing something stupid with my data? I am fairly new to spatial regression analysis so would appreciate any guidance. It may just be that my data set is too large to cope with this problem in MLwiN- I have about 6500 areas with up to a possible 39 neighbours.

Cheers,
Karen
billb

Re: MCMC Error in CAR modelling

Post by billb »

Hi Karen,
I could take a look if you were happy to send on the worksheet. Note i and j might refer to the areas in the order the software receives them and not the labels they have.
Bill.