Age-Period-Cohort Mixed Models

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
cecilmeeusen

Age-Period-Cohort Mixed Models

Post by cecilmeeusen »

I am performing an Age-Period-Cohort Mixed Model analysis on the European Social Survey Data (ESS 2002-2010).
To estimate such a model, period and cohort effects must be specified as random effects and age as a fixed effects.
The problem is that I have only 5 survey years. Is it allowed to specify a period variable with only 5 time points as random?
In other articles on APCMM they perform random effects of period variables with only 8 datapoints. What is the limit?

Is it allowed to fix the period effects as well, and only randomise cohort effects?

In Mlwin: I perform a cross-classified model with the SETX command. That is correct?

Thank you,

Cecil
joneskel

Re: Age-Period-Cohort Mixed Models

Post by joneskel »

Two answers and a warning

1) to perform cross-classified model I would use the MCMC procedures ( see MCMC Manual)

2) this simulation study reports on small n for random effects: daniel-stegmueller.com/files/Multilevel_samplesize.pdf

A Warning - this is a personal view: the 'trick' of using age in the fixed part and (grouped) cohort and period in the random effects in a cross classified model is, from my perspective, problematic, as it relies on getting the specification of the data generating process correct and there is no way of knowing that for certain. More on this when some simulation studies have been completed.
andrewjdbell

Re: Age-Period-Cohort Mixed Models

Post by andrewjdbell »

To follow up on this, see this paper that Kelvyn and I have written and is currently in review, which uses simulations to assess the HAPC model via simulations.

http://www.mendeley.com/download/public ... 41c/dl.pdf