Can you stop MLwiN from popping up?

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
as3601

Can you stop MLwiN from popping up?

Post by as3601 »

Hi Guys,

I am running a simulation, and have runmlwin embedded in a loop..

forvalues i = 1/1000 {
runmlwin ......
}

Mlwin keeps on popping up which means you can't do anything with computer. Is there any way of stopping the popup?

Cheers
Adrian
GeorgeLeckie
Site Admin

Re: Can you stop MLwiN from popping up?

Post by GeorgeLeckie »

If you run runmlwin repeatedly from within a loop and with the nopause option, then MLwiN will launch each time the runmlwin command is issued.

MLwiN will pop up in the foreground if Stata is the active program. This will prevent you from using any other features of Stata, for example viewing the runmlwin help file, as having MLwiN pop up obstructs your view.

However, if another application is in the foreground then MLwiN will pop up in the background and so will not obstruct your view. This allows you, for example, to carry on writing your word document while the runmlwin simulation study is running in the background.

If you want to read the runmlwin help file while the simulation study is running, simply open a second instance of Stata and view the helpfile there.

We are looking into adding another option to runmlwin will stop MLwiN from popping up even in the background.
as3601

Post by as3601 »

Thanks George,

I have found if you work in the stata do file editor, it interrupts your work. But if you edit your do files in crimson editor or notepad++ it quietly runs in the background.

Thanks for your help.

Adrian
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

That's an interesting find. Out of curiosity, if you are using a Stata do file editor associated with a different instance of Stata do you get interrupted there too?
as3601

Post by as3601 »

Hi Chris,

Not sure about the different instances at the moment.

I have just had stata upgraded to 11.2 and now its popping up all the time.

the stata window has changed name from 11.1 to 11.2. I am guessing a window reference is not being seen now.

Are you running 11.2 or 11.1?

Cheers
A
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

I just had Stata update to 11.2 here too, although I still get the same popping under behaviour as before if another application has focus (even another instance of Stata).
as3601

Post by as3601 »

Hi Chris,

Just tried ado uninstall, and reinstalling. Unfortunately with no success. My version of stata is centrally controlled so not sure if this might have anything to do with it?

Cheers
A
as3601

Post by as3601 »

Just to let you know, a reboot of the computer has returned runmlwin popunder behaviour to as it should be. :? Windooze strikes again....
johannesmueller

Post by johannesmueller »

Dear all,

I am afraid I am still facing this issue. MLwiN pops up even if I am working in e.g. a Word document.

I am using the latest release of runmlwin (with nopause option) and Stata16.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

You could try using the scripting-only command line version of MLwiN by setting your MLwiN path to mlnscript.exe from mlwin.exe and see if that works any better.