Overwrite protected column

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
emmaanderson

Overwrite protected column

Post by emmaanderson »

Hi,

For the last few months i've had the following error message coming up with every model i run from stata:

"Column esample is protected. Overwrite protected column?"

I found this previous thread (https://www.cmm.bristol.ac.uk/forum/vie ... php?t=1374) back from 2009 that stated "have a workaround to these messages in the -runmlwin- development version, which we hope to release to ssc soon."

I can't seem to find anything in the manuals or online.

Is someone able to advise me how I stop this message coming up? I'm trying to run loops and it's a nightmare.

Thanks! :-)

Emma
ChrisCharlton

Re: Overwrite protected column

Post by ChrisCharlton »

This message should not appear if you are using the model recent version of -runmlwin-. Could you try updating it with the command:

Code: Select all

adoupdate runmlwin
and letting us know if this fixes it?
emmaanderson

Post by emmaanderson »

Ah wow- that worked straight away. Amazing, thank you for getting back to me so quickly :-)
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Could you enter the following command in Stata?:

which runmlwin
and then open the runmlwin.ado file that it refers to in a text editor.

This should contain the following line:

file write `macro1' "MARK 0" _n 
If not then the update was not successful and I suggest that you investigate why not. If this line does exist in your version then let us know.