Errors when trying to use runmlwin script for mac - help?

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
cleppold

Errors when trying to use runmlwin script for mac - help?

Post by cleppold »

I am trying to use runmlwin script on Mac OS X following instructions here (https://www.cmm.bristol.ac.uk/forum/vie ... b59d0ebcf5). I am using it with Stata 12.

The path files are set to:
global MLwiN_path "/usr/local/bin/mlnscript"
global MLwiNScript_path "/usr/local/bin/mlnscript"

However, I am running into error messages and cannot get it to work.

For instance, the following command (from user manual exercises: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/media/runm ... sponses.do):
use runmlwin use cons lc1 lc2 lc3plus age, level2(district: cons) level1(woman) discrete(distribution(binomial) link(logit) denominator(cons)) nopause

Elicits the following error message:
“The model did not run properly in MLwiN. Re-run the model without the nopause option to debug the model in MLwiN.”

Then, when running it without ‘nopause’, I get the following error message:

“The model did not run properly in MLwiN. You most likely clicked the 'Abort Macro' button in MLwiN, rather than the 'Resume Macro' button.”

I have not clicked any buttons.

Could someone give feedback on how to go about resolving this? I would be very grateful.
ChrisCharlton

Re: Errors when trying to use runmlwin script for mac - help?

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Can you confirm that you are able to run these files directly from a terminal window? If so can you also check whether running them via the Stata -shell- command (https://www.stata.com/help.cgi?shell) works for you?
cleppold

Post by cleppold »

Thank you for the feedback! By ‘files’ do you mean the mlnscript file itself?

I tried to run it through a terminal window but got the following error message:
dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/libmln.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/mlnscript
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5

I am not sure what it means by ‘image not found’?

Please do let me know if you have any further advice.
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

I suspect that you have missed copying some of the files from the .dmg file that you downloaded. This is easy to do as sometimes when Mac OS display the contents it places some of the files out of the visible area so that you have to scroll to be able to see them. Can you check whether this is the case, and if so whether copying the missing files fixes the problem?
cleppold

Post by cleppold »

Thank you so much, you were exactly right — I had missed some contents that were outside of the visible area! (I feel quite silly about this now!)

I’ve copied these and runmlwin is now working in stata. Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it.
annajoseph

Post by annajoseph »

Hi!

I had the same problem!

I copied all of the files from from the .dmg file ( in total 4 files). And I used the both the commands global MLwiN_path "/Users/huyuan/MLwiN/mlnscript"
global MLwiNScript_path "/Users/huyuan/MLwiN/mlnscript", and then ran runmlwin.

Then error message
“The model did not run properly in MLwiN. Re-run the model without the nopause option to debug the model in MLwiN.”

and then without nopause,
again error message

“The model did not run properly in MLwiN. You most likely clicked the 'Abort Macro' button in MLwiN, rather than the 'Resume Macro' button.”

I have not clicked any buttons.

What should I do?

Thank you very much!