Interpretation of the Raftery-Lewis value

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
RachaelHughes

Interpretation of the Raftery-Lewis value

Post by RachaelHughes »

I have fitted a 3-level cross-classified model using MCMC with 5000 burn-in and 50,000 chain. I have used runmlwin and mcmcsum to examine the MCMC chain. Due to auto-correlation the reported effective sample size is only 1961. The Raftery-Lewis value (for 2.5 percentile) is 19445. Does this Raftery-Lewis value tell me that I need at least 19,445 iterations or 19,445 effective (independent) iterations? In other words, is the Raftery-Lewis value telling me I need to run the chain long enough such that the effective sample size is 19,445?

Thank you for your time
Rach
billb

Re: Interpretation of the Raftery-Lewis value

Post by billb »

Hi Rach,
Raftery and Lewis is a completely different diagnostic to the ESS and so works on actual iterations and so you need to run for 19,445 actual iterations to satisfy it. With regard ESS generally one looks for some criterion like > 500 for all parameters. The ESS works on correlations in the chains whilst the Raftery-Lewis looks at behaviour around the quantiles.
Hope that helps,
Bill.
RachaelHughes

Re: Interpretation of the Raftery-Lewis value

Post by RachaelHughes »

Thank you Bill - very helpful.