issue retrieving imputation

Welcome to the forum for REALCOM users. Feel free to post your question about REALCOM here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go REALCOM (Developing multilevel models for REAListically COMplex social science data) >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/realcom/
shanekav

issue retrieving imputation

Post by shanekav »

Hi,

I have run an imputation model in REALCOM apparently successfully i.e. the imputations show up in the folder. However, when I retrieve the imputation in MLwiN I get the error message that the impvals.txt is an invalid file. I can't identify anything that I am doing incorrectly. Could you please advise me?

many thanks

Shane

PS: the impvals.txt contains the name of the response variable, the n, 10 (which I assume identifies the number of imputations) and then a list of the 10 imputations
ChrisCharlton

Re: issue retrieving imputation

Post by ChrisCharlton »

The format of the impvals.txt file is described on page 6 of the Realcom-Impute user guide (linked to from http://www.bris.ac.uk/cmm/software/real ... ation.html). Could you check whether the file that you have matches the format described? If they match then it's possible that the problem is caused by a file permission error, in which case I would suggest copying them elsewhere and trying to load the new copy.
shanekav

Post by shanekav »

Format looks correct. I have tried copying folder to desktop with no change in outcome. I have noticed that a 'storedata.mat' file has appeared on desktop as well as the one in the folder that application has loaded in. Any further suggestions?
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

The Invalid file message appears if MLwiN has trouble when requesting that the operating system opens the file (the contents are not yet checked at that point), so I would suggest looking at the command generated in Data Manipulation->Command Interface to check that the file name and directory matches what you expect. I would also suggest opening the file in the macro editor (File->Open Macro) to see whether MLwiN is able to read it there.
shanekav

Post by shanekav »

File paths all appear correct. The file opens as a macro without any issues and appears correct. I'm not sure what else to do at this stage...
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Would you be able to post the IRET line from the command interface so that I can check that there is nothing obvious that might have confused the software, otherwise can you try the example in the Realcom-Impute manual to see whether the problem occurs for you with this too?
shanekav

Post by shanekav »

IRET "C:\realcomdata\impvals.txt"

I have tried installing the programs to different directories and also writing the files to different directories within and outside the User folders. I do notice that the impvals file is only 1kb, which seems very small even though there is not much in it. But when I load it as a macro it all looks ok. Also reinstalled MLwin and Realcom

I have had a go with data from one of the example datasets - the same thing happened, although I have not followed the example completely as I was a bit confused, but will get to that.

Will try and reinstall Windows.
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

If you still have them could you post the files generated for the tutorial example so that I can check them here?
shanekav

Post by shanekav »

Hi Chris,

Have attached example files. I have completely re-installed Windows...same issue. I originally had an error when Realcom was writing the imputations, but I installed it on to the desktop and then it worked.
Attachments
example.zip
(68.86 KiB) Downloaded 524 times
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Thank you for uploading the example. The problem appears to be caused by a bug introduced in MLwiN version 2.31. This should be fixed in the next release but in the mean time if you send me an email (you can find my details here: http://bristol.ac.uk/cmm/team/) I will send you version 2.30, which should work for your files.