Realcom Standalone - Data Input

Welcome to the forum for REALCOM users. Feel free to post your question about REALCOM here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go REALCOM (Developing multilevel models for REAListically COMplex social science data) >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/realcom/
boldlygo

Realcom Standalone - Data Input

Post by boldlygo »

Hello everyone,

as the title suggests, my question is very basic. I have trouble understanding how Realcom handles its data input. I own neither Stata nor MLwiN, so I installed the MATLAB runtime environment (2012b) and Realcom as a standalone program. My computer is a Win7 64bit.

The GUI starts up fine, but I cannot read in my data. As soon as I selected the data file, the console gives a few errors (see below). If I continue clicking any button in the GUI, new windows open but I cannot select any variables (e.g., if I try to set the grouping indicator). I created several small dataset with a .dat-file ending and tab-separated entries. I tried minimal examples varying the heading and values, to no effect. All I receive are these error messages:

Code: Select all

Error using read (line 55)
Error: Unexpected MATLAB expression.

Error in gui_opendata (line 19)
Error in gui_2levmixresp>pushbutton8_OpenData_Callback (line 142)
Error in gui_mainfcn (line 96)
Error in gui_2levmixresp (line 46)

Error in @(hObject,eventdata)gui_2levmixresp('pushbutton8_OpenData_Callback',hObject,eventdata,guidata(hObject))

Error while evaluating uicontrol Callback
I tried reinstalling Realcom into a personal directory (located on my Desktop) following similar posts here at the forum. No solution, though...

I'd be very happy if someone could direct me to where I made a mistake. I apologize if this is a trivial question. Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
ChrisCharlton

Re: Realcom Standalone - Data Input

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Realcom-Impute expects some extra information describing the variables types in the data file that you provide as input. You can find details of the required input format on page six of the Realcom-Impute user guide, available from http://www.bris.ac.uk/cmm/software/real ... ation.html.