Include level1 variables to impute level 2 missing variable

Welcome to the forum for REALCOM users. Feel free to post your question about REALCOM here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go REALCOM (Developing multilevel models for REAListically COMplex social science data) >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/realcom/
likestatistic

Include level1 variables to impute level 2 missing variable

Post by likestatistic »

Dear All,

I am using REALCOM to impute missing variables. I have missing values on level 1 and level 2 variables. after running realcom on stata, the model in REALCOM doesn't include level1 variables in the imputation of level 2 variables. I have tried to include them directly on REALCOM using Add/Remove explanatory variables but I am getting the following message:

Bad Input! This is not a possible action and has been ignored.

Could someone help me?

Many thanks

L
Harvey Goldstein

Re: Include level1 variables to impute level 2 missing variable

Post by Harvey Goldstein »

When you specify a 2 level imputation model any level 1 variables that are declared responses at level 1 implicitly contribute through their level 2 random effects. However you cannot have a level 1 predictor for a level 2 response in any multilevel model so do not include level 1 variables as covariates for level 2 responses in the imputation model.

Harvey Goldstein