Can Realcom-Impute now run on Linux?

Welcome to the forum for REALCOM users. Feel free to post your question about REALCOM here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go REALCOM (Developing multilevel models for REAListically COMplex social science data) >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/realcom/
aidobyrne

Can Realcom-Impute now run on Linux?

Post by aidobyrne »

Hi,

I am aware of a previous thread about Realcom-Impute and Linux back in 2012:

https://www.cmm.bristol.ac.uk/forum/vie ... 763d#p1262

The shared computing facilities here at the University of Manchester run off a 64-bit Linux OS and I would like to be able to run my computationally intensive multilevel multiple imputation process using Realcom-Impute after installing it onto the shared computing facilities. While I already have access to Stata and Matlab using these Linux computing facilities, the stumbling block appears to around the use of the R2012b Windows 32-bit version of the MATLAB runtime installer. Is the Linux-Windows compatibility issue still the same as it was in the previous thread above in 2012? Or do you know if anyone has, by now, built a version that would enable me to run Realcom-Impute off a 64-bit Linux OS?

The alternative for me is to run Realcom-Impute locally on my desktop PC for several weeks uninterrupted.

Many thanks,

Adrian
ChrisCharlton

Re: Can Realcom-Impute now run on Linux?

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Unfortunately there still isn't a version of Realcom-Impute built for the Linux platform. While I think that this would be technically possible (minus the equation display) we still don't have access to a Linux version of Matlab to build and test this on. If you are familiar with Matlab an alternative might be to use the Matlab code provided with the Realcom-Impute paper in the Journal of Statistical Software (https://www.jstatsoft.org/article/view/v045i05) directly.
aidobyrne

Post by aidobyrne »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I might have a go at this, despite not being that familiar with Matlab, thanks to the files provided in the link you sent me.

If I were to run my own multilevel multiple imputation models directly via Matlab using a 64-bit Linux OS, do I simply replace the data within the realcom-impute-matlab zip file with my own data and adjust the requirements accordingly? I was able to view the existing data files using Notepad but how should I save my own data so that it can be correctly fed into the model?

Also, the X and Z2 files within the realcom-impute-matlab zip file do not display numerical digits when viewed through Notepad while every other data file does so is there something different about these 2 files?

And I think I understand that the RANDSEED and ITEREPORT files do not need to be specified within the zip file but what out the IMPUTEDRESPONSES output file? Does this file get created as a result of the process and if so, where does it get saved to?

Many thanks,

Adrian
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

I haven't looked in detail at what was included with the paper, however if you look at the v45i05-matlab.txt file it appears to describe how to set up the file for your own data. According to this the description of the IMPUTEDRESPONSESfile is as follows:
Output files:
=======
IMPUTEDRESPONSES - if we do M imputations, this is of dimension NM by Q, with all missing values imputed: in other words the M imputed datasets, each of dimension N by Q, are stacked on top of each other.
You would therefore have to do some post-processing to get your data into the form expected by the realcom-impute Stata package.

The X and Z2 files both contain a column of ones. I'm not sure why they wouldn't work in Notepad for you, however they look fine for me if I use Wordpad.
aidobyrne

Post by aidobyrne »

Thanks Chris,

I'll see if I can replicate the original example in the link with the help of an IT colleague. If that works fine, I'll crack on with my own data otherwise I might have another query for you!

Have a good weekend,

Adrian