calculation of variance explained

Welcome to the forum for REALCOM users. Feel free to post your question about REALCOM here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go REALCOM (Developing multilevel models for REAListically COMplex social science data) >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/realcom/
gilleecl

calculation of variance explained

Post by gilleecl »

Hi,

Having run a model using multiple imputation, is it reasonable to compare the variance components of the fitted model with the null model (which obviously didn't use multiple imputation)? i.e., I understand that the same number of cases should be used in the null model and the fitted model if calculating variance explained, but is it correct to think that the issue of listwise deletion doesn't apply once multiple imputation was employed?)

many thanks
Lorraine
Harvey Goldstein

Re: calculation of variance explained

Post by Harvey Goldstein »

Dear Lorraine
If the multiple imputation has done its job properly, i.e. te assumptions are reasonable (MAR) then you dont need to have the same no of records for null modle and imputed model in order to study the relative amounts ofvariance explained in both cases since you should be getting unbiased estimates of these components in each case. Anyway, in effect you can think of the null model as being carried out on the imputed dataset - which of course will include all cases.
Harvey