Stand alone

Welcome to the forum for REALCOM users. Feel free to post your question about REALCOM here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go REALCOM (Developing multilevel models for REAListically COMplex social science data) >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/realcom/
shakespeare

Stand alone

Post by shakespeare »

I want to run Realcom-impute as a stand alone ( I do not own Stata, MLWin or Matlab). I think this is possible based on what I have read. I have downloaded the Matlab runtime compiler and the Realcom-impute module but when I launch Realcom all I get is a blank DOS window. Mathworks refuses to tell me if the compiler installed correctly since I don't have a license number. I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas?
ChrisCharlton

Re: Stand alone

Post by ChrisCharlton »

What you have downloaded and installed should be sufficient, however the Realcom modules can take a while to start up the first time and will only display a blank console window while doing so. I would suggest that you check task manager to see whether there is any CPU activity from Realcom and if there is to leave it a bit longer to see whether it eventually gets further. If it really isn't doing anything then I would suggest running it with administrative permissions as it may be attempting to write somewhere that you don't have access to.
shakespeare

Post by shakespeare »

I tried waiting and got a message in my DOS window that said, "Warning. application in running on a locale different from the original platform locale." After about 3 minutes, Realcom started. I don't know if the message portends any future problems. My system is an HP EliteBook 8500p with a 32 bit OS and 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5-2540M CPU running Windows 7 Enterprise with Service PAck 1.
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

I think that you should be able to safely ignore this warning as long as the data import/export appears to work as expected, in which case it sounds like it is working properly. I believe that it should start a little faster in future as it shouldn't have to do so much set up work.