Data structure in Structure equation model

Welcome to the forum for REALCOM users. Feel free to post your question about REALCOM here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go REALCOM (Developing multilevel models for REAListically COMplex social science data) >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/realcom/
Frankfeng

Data structure in Structure equation model

Post by Frankfeng »

Hi,

I use Structure equation model for the Latent variable (factor) models. I came across two issues. First is, how can I put the categorical variable as predictor into the model? It is easy to put gender (male/female), but what if the variable has more than 2 categories? How can I create them for analysis?

Second, when I put tow or three variables as predictor, the results looks good, but when I put more, the results go wrong. such as the coefficient come up "1.35e-49", all the predictor are binary.

Thank you very much!
Attachments
results.jpg
results.jpg (100.86 KiB) Viewed 5521 times
Harvey Goldstein

Re: Data structure in Structure equation model

Post by Harvey Goldstein »

For categorical predictors use dummy variable codes. Re you results this seems to be a data problem - I suggest you look for rogue values or linear dependencies among predictors.
Harvey Goldstein