start up problems

Welcome to the forum for REALCOM users. Feel free to post your question about REALCOM here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go REALCOM (Developing multilevel models for REAListically COMplex social science data) >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/realcom/
caroline1

start up problems

Post by caroline1 »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to using this software, and have installed MATLAB runtime installer for Realcom and REALCOM Impute.
I went through all of the steps to load the data from Stata, view equations, set the MCMC settings successfully. However, when I went to "Start MCMC run" button, it ran for awhile until it got up to iteration 1100. Then, I get a series of error messages:

Error using save
Unable to write file storedata: permission denied

Error in mcmcdriver (line 1192)

error in gui_2levmixresp>pushbutton16_RunMCMC_Callback <line 264>

Error in gui_mainfcn <line 96>

Error in gui_2levmixresp <line 46>

Error in @<hObject,eventdata>gui_2levmixresp<'pushbutton16_RunMCMC_Callback',h0bject,eventdata,guidata<h0bject>>

Error while evaluating uicontrol Callback

Any ideas on how I can fix these errors?

thanks!
Caroline
ChrisCharlton

Re: start up problems

Post by ChrisCharlton »

When you run a model using Realcom it attempts to write some information to files in its current directory, which by default is under c:\program files\. Normal users cannot usually write to directories in this location so to enable it to work you will need to do one of the following:

1) Run with an account that has write access to that directory (i.e. has administrative privileges).

2) Install Realcom into a directory that your username has write access to

3) Change/Create a new short cut to the Realcom executable with the working directory set to a location that you can write files to.
caroline1

Post by caroline1 »

I made those changes and it seemed to run successfully. Thank you so much for your help!!!
guobl

Post by guobl »

following Chris suggestion point 3. I am thinking an alternative is :
1) install realcom as administrator and create a shortcut on desktop;
2) right click shortcut--> click property;
3) in the pop up window titled Imputation Properties, click Compatibility layer;
4) tick option "Run this program as an administrator" from the bottom of popup window;
5) press the OK button and realcom should work now.