Using caterpillarR with NA values

Welcome to the forum for R2MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about R2MLwiN here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to R2MLwiN: Running MLwiN from within R >> http://www.bris.ac.uk/cmm/software/r2mlwin/
adeldaoud

Using caterpillarR with NA values

Post by adeldaoud »

Hi

I would like to draw Quantile-Quantile plots to check model assumptions. But when--and this is not uncommon-- I have missing observations, the caterpillarR throws an error at me:

Code: Select all

> caterpillarR(mymodel['residual'], lev = 2)
Error in tt[1, 1, ] <- var : 
  number of items to replace is not a multiple of replacement length
In addition: Warning message:
In is.na(object) : is.na() applied to non-(list or vector) of type 'NULL'
Can I specify an option where caterpillarR omitts NAs? (running through the models again but with complete data is too tedious as I am running through many different specification)

Thanks
ChrisCharlton

Re: Using caterpillarR with NA values

Post by ChrisCharlton »

If I understand the code that is causing this error correctly:

Code: Select all

est.names <- names(myresi)[grep(paste("lev_", lev, "_resi_est", sep = ""), names(myresi))]
  if (length(est.names) == 1) {
    est <- as.matrix(na.omit(myresi[[est.names]]))
    colnames(est) <- sub("_resi_est", "", est.names)
    var <- na.omit(myresi[[grep(paste("lev_", lev, "_resi_(var|variance)_", sep = ""), names(myresi))[1]]])
    d1 <- length(est)
    tt <- array(, c(1, 1, d1))
    tt[1, 1, ] <- var
  }
then to trigger what you are seeing the following conditions would need to be true:
  • You have only one parameter set to be random at the chosen label
  • You have at least one unit that is entirely missing at the higher level (otherwise there wouldn't be any missing residuals)
  • The number of missing values in the residual estimates is different to the number of missing values in their variances
Is this the case for your problematic models?
adeldaoud

Post by adeldaoud »

Hi Chris,

I am not sure if this is the code that is causing an error.

The following is my model, with the residuals stored:

> myresi <- result.l_imf.educ.collapsed.urban.int[[1]]@residual
> names(myresi)
[1] "lev_2_resi_est_Intercept" "lev_2_resi_se_Intercept" "lev_2_std_resi_est_Intercept" "lev_2_resi_leverage_Intercept"
[5] "lev_2_resi_deletion_Intercept" "lev_2_resi_influence_Intercept" "lev_2_residualid" "lev_1_resi_est_bcons.1"
[9] "lev_1_resi_se_bcons.1" "lev_1_std_resi_est_bcons.1" "lev_1_resi_leverage_bcons.1" "lev_1_resi_deletion_bcons.1"
[13] "lev_1_resi_influence_bcons.1" "lev_1_residualid"

Any ideas?
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

The caterpillarR function is looking for data with names starting lev_2_resi_var, however these do not appear to have been output from your model. I suspect that this is probably the cause of the error message that you are seeing.
adeldaoud

Post by adeldaoud »

ok, strange, because I specified resi.store=T, with the following options:

resi.store = TRUE, resioptions= c("standardised", "leverage", "influence", "deletion"),

Should I specify the "resioptions" differently?
ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton »

The default for resioptions is "variance", however if you specify you own options then this will not be automatically included. You will therefore need to add it to your list if you want to make use of it.