Different ESS in MLwiN and R2MLwiN

Welcome to the forum for R2MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about R2MLwiN here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to R2MLwiN: Running MLwiN from within R >> http://www.bris.ac.uk/cmm/software/r2mlwin/
billb

Re: Different ESS in MLwiN and R2MLwiN

Post by billb »

Morning Andy and Chris,
When I wrote the ESS calculation in MLwiN 20 odd years ago as you'll see I decided to limit the calculation to the first 1000 elements of the autocorrelation function probably partly because of time/space considerations (computers were slower at the time) and partly because if correlations were so high that even after a lag 1000 there would be big correlations then I would assume MCMC was mixing incredibly badly.
Looking at your chains Andy it looks like even after lag 100 the correlation hasn't shifted much from 1 so I suspect it is still big at 1000 and hence the difference.
I would check also Andy that your 2 models seem to possibly have hierarchical centering switched on at different levels as you have ordered birth_year and year the other way around. This might explain the difference in variance ESS.
Best wishes,
Bill.
andrewjdbell

Re: Different ESS in MLwiN and R2MLwiN

Post by andrewjdbell »

Thanks Bill, makes sense :) (and yes I checked with and without hierarchical centering at both levels - didn't make any meaningful difference).

These are age-period-cohort models so perhaps unsurprising they aren't mixing well - we're interested in the deviations so in a sense it doesn't matter so much if the linear components aren't reliable, would just have been nice to have the whole model functioning well...

Thanks both :)