q about interactions

Welcome to the forum for REALCOM users. Feel free to post your question about REALCOM here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go REALCOM (Developing multilevel models for REAListically COMplex social science data) >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/realcom/
caroline1

q about interactions

Post by caroline1 »

I have an interaction between an unordered categorical variable and a continuous variable which has some missing values. If I am using the JAV approach to impute the missing values for the interaction, I understand that I need to manually create the variable first in Stata and then use it as a response variable in realcomImpute. In terms of manually creating the variable, is this just a matter of multiplying the unordered categorical variable by the continuous variable? I understand that if it is a response variable, you can't include separate dummy variables in realComImpute, such as continuous*category_1 continuous*category 2 etc.

thank you!
caroline1

Re: q about interactions

Post by caroline1 »

Just to clarify my question by providing an example:

Say the categorical variable is marital status (divorced, married, single. etc) and the continuous variable is time. It seems wrong just to multiply marital status (which is coded as 1, 2,3, etc.) by time in Stata to create the new variable. Is there another way to create it?