Anomaly when imputing a Normal response

Welcome to the forum for REALCOM users. Feel free to post your question about REALCOM here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go REALCOM (Developing multilevel models for REAListically COMplex social science data) >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/realcom/
MannyGomez

Anomaly when imputing a Normal response

Post by MannyGomez »

Hi,
I'm faced with an unusual situation. I have used Realcom to impute one (hierarchical) Normally distributed variable (mean 200, 95%CI: 25 to 650, and no negative values). After imputation, I checked the imputed values and found that a substantial number of them were negative and very far from zero, such as -3000 or -2000 (!). Since the variable was approx Normal and sample size>5000, I found this very strange. I computed multilevel MICE in R (using the same imputation model), and the imputed values were well within the range of the observed values.

Potential candidates that may have caused the problem in Realcom:

1- I have only 5 clusters (level-2 identifier). Although this did not cause any problem for multilevel MICE.
2- The variables included in the model do not explain much of the missingness. In other words, is Realcom more sensitive to misspecification than multivel MICE?
3- Any computational issue? I have considered burnin=1000, no. of imputations=50, MCMC iterations=10,000.

Which of these may have caused the problem? Any other suspicion?

Many thanks, Manny
ChrisCharlton

Re: Anomaly when imputing a Normal response

Post by ChrisCharlton »

That does look odd. Would it be possible to send either myself or Harvey Goldstein (email address here: http://www.bris.ac.uk/cmm/team/) an example dataset where this occurs so that we can investigate further?
MannyGomez

Re: Anomaly when imputing a Normal response

Post by MannyGomez »

Okay, will do.
When possible, could I have your views on the other issue I raised in the MLwiN user forum on the mixture distribution?
Cheers,
Manny