Binary MLM-Level 1 variance

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
stasis13

Binary MLM-Level 1 variance

Post by stasis13 »

Hello

The MLwiN in the binary logistic model provide information only about the between-school (level 2) variance. However, there is no information about the level 1 variance. Is there any way to obtain this variance so as to have a better picture of the model? For example in SPSS for logistic regression the Cox and Snell's R2 or the Negelkerke's R2 values inform about the overall fit of the model.

Thanks ;)
billb

Re: Binary MLM-Level 1 variance

Post by billb »

Hi Stasis,
Not all single level logistic regression techniques translate directly to the multilevel case. Even in normal models the concept of R^2 is not usually referred to in multilevel situations as you do not have a single variance to reduce! The multilevel logistic also has interesting properties in that in some sense the level 2 variance is on a different scale from the level 1 variance due to the link function and so adding predictor variables can inflate the level 2 variance. I guess the best I could offer in terms of goodness of fit is to consider the predictive power of the model on the data i.e. if you predict from the model on to the actual data and then use some threshold to indicate whether your prediction should be considered a 0 or a 1 you could calculate a statistic for how often the model gives the correct prediction.
Hope this helps,
Best wishes,
Bill.