Problem with variance absolute

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
MaraMlwin

Problem with variance absolute

Post by MaraMlwin »

Hello everyone,

I'm running a binary response 3 level-model, MQL1 extended to PQL2. I am checking the effect of some predictors in order to expplain student achievement. One of the predictors, has a strange for me "behaviour". The absolute of the variances overlap the absolute variance of model 0. I asked my advisor and told me to calculate the variance in each level by taking into account the ceof. minus SE (of each level variance) and then substract them to find the asolute and then the explained variance. But it stills overlap model's 0 total.

Is there anything else to do in order to fix this?

I'm new with mlwin procedures. I have read related modules about binary response, but i can't find any related advice about that. I don't know even how this problem called. Is it called "overfitted variance"? If not, then how? Because i would like to learn further about that and how to solve it.

Kind regards,
Mara
ChrisCharlton

Re: Problem with variance absolute

Post by ChrisCharlton »

Are you able to provide any further information about this, such as the actual model specification and results, along with a worked example of your calculations?