AR(1) growth curve model - error message

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
econsic

AR(1) growth curve model - error message

Post by econsic »

I am trying to estimate a growth curve model for a dataset of 9824 units clustered in 102 groups for 7 time points. I am able to estimate a model with the three levels (in order: time, units and groups) of my response variable with respect to a linear trend, Y=f(time). No other covariates are included in the model. When I try to model a first-order autoregressive covariance structure between level 1 errors (i.e. between time within unit), I meet the problem described below. Following the procedure in the MlWiN Supplement Manual (pag. 74-79 “A new method for estimating autocorrelated errors in continuous time”), when I type the command “star” the MlWiN returns the following error message: “”Design vector at level 2 is the wrong length (offs)”. I tried to follow the procedure for a random sub-sample of just 93 units but MlWiN returns always the same error message. Can you help me to understand the nature of my problem?

Thanks in advance!
moback

Re: AR(1) growth curve model - error message

Post by moback »

Please check that your dataset is balanced, the AC function requires that there are no mising data.
Good luck!
Liam

Post by Liam »

moback wrote:Please check that your dataset is balanced, the AC function requires that there are no mising data.
Good luck!
But what if I checked everything and the problem is still there?
Last edited by Liam on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
moback

Post by moback »

Well, unbalanced is what is meant by 'wrong length'. Sometimes everything works out if you press 'clear' and start from scratch. Hope that works, if not I fear I can't come up with any more ideas.