Centering method for lagged variables

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
PetrouEUR

Centering method for lagged variables

Post by PetrouEUR »

Dear MlwiN users,

Suppose we have weekly (or diary) data where a within-level X variable(s) predicts a within-level Y variable. Now I want to create lagged (previous-week) variables for both X and Y and add them as control variables. I have seen in a paper that while lagged Y was grandmean centered, lagged X was groupmean centered. Do you agree with that and is there any methodological reference to justify this?

Furthermore, when I experiment with different centering methods, I often run into some strange problems that I cannot interpret:
(1) When lagged Y is grandmean centered, variance at the between-level is 0. However, when lagged Y is groupmean centered, between-level variance is positive. What does this mean?
(2) While the effect of grandmean centered lagged Y is positive (which makes sense if we see this as "stability" effect), the effect becomes negative when lagged Y is groupmean centered. This looks like a strange artefact that does not agree with the correlation matrix. What does this mean?

Thank you!

Paris
ChrisCharlton

Re: Centering method for lagged variables

Post by ChrisCharlton »

I asked around, but no-one I asked had enough experience with this to provide any direct advice. The feeling was that using a lagged Y as an X variable without taking the auto-regressive structure into account would be problematic. The following references were suggested:

Don’t Put Lagged Dependent Variables in Mixed Models: https://statisticalhorizons.com/lagged- ... -variables

Bell, Andrew, Kelvyn Jones, and Malcolm Fairbrother. 2017. “Understanding and Misunderstanding Group Mean Centering: A Commentary on Kelley et Al.’s Dangerous Practice.” Quality & Quantity
PetrouEUR

Post by PetrouEUR »

That really helps, thank you Chris!

Best,
Paris
PetrouEUR

Post by PetrouEUR »

And does anyone know if the same logic applies to a lagged X as predictor of Y? Is this allowed and if yes, what is the best centering method and why?

Thank you!
Paris
Normanpo

Post by Normanpo »

ChrisCharlton wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:55 pm I asked around, but no-one I asked had enough experience with this to provide any direct advice. The feeling was that using a lagged Y as an X variable without taking the auto-regressive structure into account would be problematic. The following references were suggested:

Don’t Put Lagged Dependent Variables in Mixed Models: https://statisticalhorizons.com/lagged- ... -variables

Bell, Andrew, Kelvyn Jones, and Malcolm Fairbrother. 2017. “Understanding and Misunderstanding Group Mean Centering: A Commentary on Kelley et Al.’s Dangerous Practice.” Quality & Quantity
Thanks for the link.