Cross-classified-hierarchical model - looking for the right syntax

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
marcogpalladino

Cross-classified-hierarchical model - looking for the right syntax

Post by marcogpalladino »

Hi everyone,

I am trying to run a model very similar to Bell (2014) "Life-course and cohort trajectories of mental health in the UK, 1991–2008 – A multilevel age–period–cohort analysis". They extend the HAPC multilevel structure, incorporating spatial hierarchies and allowing for the model to be used with panel rather than repeated cross-sectional data. This creates a structure in which observations are cross-classified into three different levels, two of which are additionally nested into two other higher levels. Their graphical representation of this structure (figure 2) is very straightforward.

I know how to specify both cross-classified and hierarchical models with the runmlwin command on Stata, but I do not know how to write the right syntax for a mix of the two. Unfortunately, I have not found anything on the manuals so far in terms of syntax. A bit of guidance from you would be greatly appreciated
ChrisCharlton

Re: Cross-classified-hierarchical model - looking for the right syntax

Post by ChrisCharlton »

You should be able to do this by setting everything up as for a cross-classified model. We don't have any specify examples of syntax for running these models via runmlwin, however if you need this I would suggest contacting the author of the paper that you referenced.
marcogpalladino

Re: Cross-classified-hierarchical model - looking for the right syntax

Post by marcogpalladino »

Hi Chris,

Thanks. I definitely will.

Best,