Preparation of continuous variables before MCMC (checking linearity and centring to the mean)

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
ManuelDewez

Preparation of continuous variables before MCMC (checking linearity and centring to the mean)

Post by ManuelDewez »

Hello I am new to runmlwin.

I want to conduct a two-level random intercept multilevel analysis with a binary outcome variable, using the MCMC method to identify determinants of the availability of diagnostic tests in primary care surgeries.

I am using a multilevel approach because I want to examine the effects of the medical surgeries’ characteristics (level 1) and the effects of country (level 2) on the availability of the test in the surgery.

I am using 5 surgery explanatory variables (three are binary variables and two are continuous variables) and two country explanatory variables (both categorical). I have 847 observations (i.e. 847surgeries) and 19 countries.

I have 2 preliminary questions regarding the continuous explanatory variables:
1. Do I need to check if there is a linear association between each continuous variable and the outcome, and if not transform the continuous variable (e.g. quadratic or cubic transformation)?
2. Do I need to centre the continuous variable to the mean or to any other value?

Thank you in advance!