repeated measurement multilevel modeling: research design

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
nasirihakimeh

repeated measurement multilevel modeling: research design

Post by nasirihakimeh »

Hi, this is Hakimeh.
I am a new learner of repeated measurement multilevel modeling.
Kindly, I seek your advice to design the following research appropriately.

Research objectives:
1) To explore the variation of patterns of kids’ smartphone usage during typical everyday life in comparison to travel time
2) To explore the association of the above-mentioned pattern to smartphone addiction or non-addiction of parents of those kids

Research design
Stage 1: Using a scale I will categorize parents into two groups of Smartphone Non-addicted Parents vs Smartphone Addicted Parents
Stage 2: another scale will measure patterns of kids’ smartphone usage in two occasions:
Occasion 1: typical everyday life (I will repeat asking the same questions during one week-days)
Occasion 2: travel time (I will repeat collecting asking the same questions during a family travel period which can vary from 1 day to 5 days. Please note that 5 days is the average travel time of the families in my target society)

I need your advice on:
1. Regarding the sample size, how many parents should be sampled?
2. I have visualized the structure of the prospective data that will be collected for the above-mentioned research idea in Figure 1 vs Figure 2. Which one is correct?
Figure 1
Figure 1
figure 1.PNG (35.24 KiB) Viewed 5969 times
Figure 2
Figure 2
figure 2.PNG (43.83 KiB) Viewed 5969 times

Warm regards,
Hakimeh
billb

Re: repeated measurement multilevel modeling: research design

Post by billb »

Hi Hakimeh,
Not sure I fully follow your research but I'll try and answer - your diagrams are a bit weird as I would have just put parent1, parent 2 etc. and then you would use whether they are addicted or not as a covariate - otherwise it looks like you only have 2 parents. I was unclear of what the response variable measured on the occasion was? and definitely I would have repeats within kids within parents like the left hand of figure 1.
I wasn't sure why the specific 2 occasions but guess you could again put a covariate for occasion type. Sample size will depend on correlation between measures, desired effect size to detect etc. See http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/mlpowsim/ and the manual and talk slides there for some ideas.
Best wishes,
Bill.
nasirihakimeh

Post by nasirihakimeh »

Dear Bill,

Your response is well received.
I appreciate it. Many thanks.

Warm Regards,
Hakimeh
grippingfossil

Post by grippingfossil »

billb wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:38 pm Hi Hakimeh,
Not sure I fully follow your research but I'll try and answer - your diagrams are a bit weird as I would have just put parent1, parent 2 etc. and then you would use whether they are addicted or not as a covariate - otherwise it looks like you only have 2 parents. I was unclear of what the response variable measured on the occasion was? and definitely I would have repeats within kids within parents like the left hand of figure 1.
I wasn't sure why the specific 2 occasions but guess you could again put a covariate for occasion type. Sample size will depend on correlation between measures, desired effect size to detect etc. See http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/mlpowsim/ skibidi toilet and the manual and talk slides there for some ideas.
Best wishes,
Bill.
Many thanks for your instruction. I left the level 1 value as a string by mistake, which is what caused the problem. I cleaned up the data again, making sure that value was a number, and the problem is now fixed.