SD/Variance for one layered variable

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
itooammtrading

SD/Variance for one layered variable

Post by itooammtrading »

Hi,

Is it possible in MLWin to see what the Standard Deviation / Variance is of 1 explanatory variable once it has been layered/grouped? I am trying to tackle what I believe is a "repeated measures" structure but would rather remove the layer if of little significance. As an example, say I have a dataset of student marks for 3 tests they perform at various times in one year, I could get the overall SD of the marks or (probably more accurately) the SD from a layered structure i.e., layer 1 = mark, layer2 = student. I am not trying to create a regression/predictive model, rather just trying to see what the difference are for the SD of an "overall" mark versus the SD of a "layered" mark.

I am a complete "newbie" in this type of modelling so would appreciate any help. If MLWin is incapable of this, perhaps somebody has a formula(s) / can help redirect me to relevant research so I can figure out how to calculate this myself?