Problem specifying weights

Welcome to the forum for REALCOM users. Feel free to post your question about REALCOM here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go REALCOM (Developing multilevel models for REAListically COMplex social science data) >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/realcom/
djenglis

Problem specifying weights

Post by djenglis »

Hello -

I am attempting to analyze a dataset that contains level 1 and level 2 weights in Stata. I would like to use Realcom-Impute to handle the missing data inherent to the dataset. I have tried specifying both level 1 and level 2 weights, just a level 1 weight, and just a level 2 weight, and keep receiving the same response upon opening the .dat file in Realcom:

"User supplied weights at level 1 not available - equal weights used."

Everything else looks to have loaded correctly. Any help provided will be most greatly appreciated!

Many thanks -

David
Harvey Goldstein

Re: Problem specifying weights

Post by Harvey Goldstein »

The weighting facility no longer operates. We may reinstate this at some stage after further research currently being done.
Harvey Goldstein
amitlazarus

Post by amitlazarus »

Hi there,

I have a follow up question on the same topic:
If weights can't be used in the imputation stage, should they still be instated in the analytical model?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Have a good day,
Amit.
Harvey Goldstein

The weights facility is still not implemented. Recent work by Carpenter has addressed this issue - see new book by Carpenter and Kenward (Wiley, 2013)
amitlazarus

Post by amitlazarus »

Thanks so much for the reference. I will look it up.

Kind regards,
Amit
Harvey Goldstein

Yes -weights should certainly be used in model of interest. MLwiN will allow this.
It is often not serious if you do not use weights in the imputation.
Harvey Goldstein