Calculating level-three residuals in multilevel model

Welcome to the forum for MLwiN users. Feel free to post your question about MLwiN software here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Remember to check out our extensive software FAQs which may answer your question: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/s ... port-faqs/
KevinWittenberg

Calculating level-three residuals in multilevel model

Post by KevinWittenberg »

Dear all,

Thanks for reading through my conundrum. For my PhD research, I am calculating variables based on the ecometric approach (Raudenbusch & Sampson, 1999). This basically entails that I fit a three-level multilevel item response model (items nested in subjects nested in neighbourhoods) and I want to extract the level 3 residuals from this model to use in further analyses.

From the website of the bristol centre for multilevel modelling, I have already found how to calculate level-2 residuals. That is, multiplying the average 'raw' level-1 residuals by a shrinkage factor (see reference above for detailed explanation), which uses the level-2 and level-1 variance, as well as the number of observations per group. However, I am uncertain how this approach generalizes to the extraction of level-3 residuals. My naive instinct would be to replace everything in the formula with the corresponding values of the higher level. That is, using the average of the (adjusted I would imagine?) level-2 residuals, the level-3 variance, and the number of level-2 observations to calculate the shrinking factor. However, I can imagine that the solution is a little more sophisticated. Could one of you direct me to a resource that has the answer to this question, or could you explain to me what your insight is with regard to this calculation?

TL;DR: I want to calculate level-3 residuals from my multilevel model. Specifically, I need to know how to calculate the shrinkage factor to adjust the 'raw' average residuals at the third level.

I hope anyone can take the time to help me out, thanks in advance! I gladly provide more information upon request.

Best,

Kevin Wittenberg
Utrecht University
ChrisCharlton

Re: Calculating level-three residuals in multilevel model

Post by ChrisCharlton »

If you are using MLwiN then the residuals returned from the Model>Residuals menu are already shrunken (see chapter 3 of the MLwiN User's Guide). If you need an unshrunken version then the REFLATE command (see the MLwiN on-line help) is provided to calculate this, and more details of the formula used are provided in chapter 17.
grippingfossil

Re: Calculating level-three residuals in multilevel model

Post by grippingfossil »

Thanks ChrisCharlton, basket random
I can solve my issue.