Plotting interaction terms

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
Meiko9494

Plotting interaction terms

Post by Meiko9494 »

Hello,

I am fairly new to using runmlwin but I have fitted a two - level cross-classified logistic models using runmlwin (mcmc). I would like to plot/graph an interaction between two variables but I have not been able to find an alternative to the margins command. This is the regression with factor notation that I run:

Code: Select all

quietly runmlwin ideology1 cons c.Age##c.Age  0.employment i.Educ#i.employment dmarital1  i.practice i.Educ#i.practice  i.dev1 i.Educ#i.dev1 divorce i.class income i.Nchildren , level2(Period:cons) level1(Cohort:) discrete(dist(binomial) link(logit) denom(cons)) nopause

runmlwin ideology1 cons c.Age##c.Age  0.employment i.Educ#i.employment dmarital1  i.practice i.Educ#i.practice  i.dev1 i.Educ#i.dev1 divorce i.class income i.Nchildren, level2(Period:cons) level1(Cohort:) discrete(dist(binomial) link(logit) denom(cons)) mcmc(cc) initsprevious nopause
runmlwin, noheader noretable or
I then removed factor notation and added all the dummies, then set all variale to zero except the two variables of interest (education x employment interactions) and attempted to predict the outcome + SE :

quietly runmlwin ideology1 cons Age agesq  demploy1 deduc2#demploy1 deduc3#demploy1 deduc4#demploy1 dmarital1  dprac2 dprac3 demploy1 deduc2#dprac1 deduc2#dprac2  deduc2#dprac3 deduc3#dprac1 deduc3#dprac2  deduc3#dprac3     deduc4#dprac1 deduc4#dprac2  deduc4#dprac3  devd1 deduc2#devd1 deduc3#devd1 deduc4#devd1 divorce devd1 dclass2 dclass3 income dchild2 dchild3 dchild4 dchild5, level2(Period:cons) level1(Cohort:) discrete(dist(binomial) link(logit) denom(cons)) nopause

runmlwin ideology1 cons Age agesq  demploy1 deduc2#demploy1 deduc3#demploy1 deduc4#demploy1 dmarital1  dprac2 dprac3 demploy1 deduc2#dprac1 deduc2#dprac2  deduc2#dprac3 deduc3#dprac1 deduc3#dprac2  deduc3#dprac3     deduc4#dprac1 deduc4#dprac2  deduc4#dprac3  devd1 deduc2#devd1 deduc3#devd1 deduc4#devd1 divorce devd1 dclass2 dclass3 income dchild2 dchild3 dchild4 dchild5, level2(Period:cons) level1(Cohort:) discrete(dist(binomial) link(logit) denom(cons)) mcmc(cc) initsprevious nopause
runmlwin, noheader noretable or

local unwanted = "Age agesq dmarital1 dprac2 dprac3 devd1 divorce dclass2 income dchild2 dchild3 dchild4 dchild5 "
foreach var in `unwanted' {
    replace `var' = 0
}
* Predict 
predict yhat
predict yhat_se, stdp
gen yhat_lb = yhat - 1.96 * yhat_se
gen yhat_ub = yhat + 1.96 * yhat_se
The predict yhat returns the following error:
variable _0b_deduc2_1_demploy1 not found

I am not sure what I am doing incorrectly? Thank you.

For reference, I am attempting to replicate the following code:

margins, at(Educ=(0(1)3)) over(employment)
marginsplot
ChrisCharlton

Re: Plotting interaction terms

Post by ChrisCharlton »

The immediate cause of the error that you are seeing is because although runmlwin creates derived variables for each expanded factor/interaction these are only used during model fitting and are not added back to the initial data. Presumably the predict command for built-in Stata commands recreates these on the fly, but doesn't specifically understand the runmlwin output. You would therefore need to re-create these before doing the prediction with code similar to the following:

use http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/media/runmlwin/tutorial, clear

local fixedpart standlrt schgend#girl // Replace with fixed part specification of the model

fvexpand `fixedpart' // Create expanded variable list
local vars `r(varlist)' // Store result
local vars : list vars - fixedpart // Remove non-derived variables from list
fvrevar `vars' // Create temporary variable for each derived variable
local tempvars `r(varlist)' // Store list of created variable names
forvalues i = 1/`:list sizeof vars' { // Copy each temporary variable to appropriately named new variable
	gen `=strtoname(word("`vars'", `i'))' = `=word("`tempvars'", `i')'
}