3 level cross-classified model: how to set level 2 and 3?

Welcome to the forum for runmlwin users. Feel free to post your question about runmlwin here. The Centre for Multilevel Modelling take no responsibility for the accuracy of these posts, we are unable to monitor them closely. Do go ahead and post your question and thank you in advance if you find the time to post any answers!

Go to runmlwin: Running MLwiN from within Stata >> http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/runmlwin/
scorpionwwj

3 level cross-classified model: how to set level 2 and 3?

Post by scorpionwwj » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:39 pm

Dear users,

I am fitting a 3 level cross-classified model: level 1 is patient ID (ca.40000), the other 2 levels are physician ID (ca.7000) and region ID where patients live in (ca.700). Outcome variable is binary so this is a logistic model. Below is the code:

Code: Select all

runmlwin y sex age cons, level3(region:cons) level2(physician:cons) level1(id) discrete(distribution(binomial) link(logit) denominator(cons)) or nopause
runmlwin y sex age cons, level3(region:cons) level2(physician:cons) level1(id) discrete(distribution(binomial) link(logit) denominator(cons)) or mcmc(on) initsprevious nopause nogroup
But if I switch the level 2 and level 3 like below:

runmlwin y sex age cons, level3(physician:cons) level2(region:cons) level1(id) discrete(distribution(binomial) link(logit) denominator(cons)) or nopause
runmlwin y sex age cons, level3(physician:cons) level2(region:cons) level1(id) discrete(distribution(binomial) link(logit) denominator(cons)) or mcmc(on) initsprevious nopause nogroup
I got quite different results, especially the random effects.

It would be great if anyone could help. Thank you indeed!

Best,
wj

ChrisCharlton

Re: 3 level cross-classified model: how to set level 2 and 3?

Post by ChrisCharlton » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 am

In order to fit a cross-classified model you need to add cc to the mcmc options, otherwise the model will be fitted as hierarchical. This should be reflected in group summary information in the model output. Note that even after doing so the results from switching the levels around, as in your example, will be slightly different as the IGLS results are used as starting values and these will still assume a hierarchical structure. You can find examples of specifying cross-classified models within runmlwin in chapter 15 of the MCMC manual examples, available at https://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/ ... /examples/.

scorpionwwj

Post by scorpionwwj » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:38 pm

Dear Chris,

thank you indeed for your reply. It is really helpful.

Best regards,
wj

scorpionwwj

Post by scorpionwwj » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:47 pm

ChrisCharlton wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 am
In order to fit a cross-classified model you need to add cc to the mcmc options, otherwise the model will be fitted as hierarchical. This should be reflected in group summary information in the model output. Note that even after doing so the results from switching the levels around, as in your example, will be slightly different as the IGLS results are used as starting values and these will still assume a hierarchical structure. You can find examples of specifying cross-classified models within runmlwin in chapter 15 of the MCMC manual examples, available at https://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/ ... /examples/.
Dear Chris,

I have one further question. I have modified the code according to your reply:

runmlwin y sex age cons, level3(region:cons) level2(physician:cons) level1(id) discrete(distribution(binomial) link(logit) denominator(cons)) or nopause
runmlwin y sex age cons, level3(region:cons) level2(physician:cons) level1(id) discrete(distribution(binomial) link(logit) denominator(cons)) or mcmc(cc on) initsprevious nopause nogroup

But the results of random-effect parameters are a bit weird: the higher level variation is 0.08 for level 3 (region), 1308 for level 2 (physician) which is too big. I have also tried two 2-level models, one with region as 2nd level, the other one with physician as 2nd level, the higher level variation for the 2 models are 0.08 and 0.18, respectively. I am not sure if the random effect estimates in the cross-classified model, especially for the physician level are correct.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Best,
wj

ChrisCharlton

Post by ChrisCharlton » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:11 am

Have you checked the MCMC chain and convergence diagnostics? It may be that you have to run the model for more iterations before it converges to a distribution. I would also suggest removing the nopause option to check within MLwiN via the Model->Hierarchy Viewer window that you have the expected number of units within each classification.